My son is currently in senior casa, Kinder 1 or Pre-kinder in other schools. He will be in Preparatory level (Kinder) next school year. But this month, I’ve been contemplating whether to stay in the present school and finish his Preparatory level or transfer to big school so he will be more independent and mature.
As early as January 8, my friends and I have been visiting different schools in our area. We’ve been checking the requirements, checking the tuition and talking to Guidance Counselor. Some of my son’s classmates are qualified for K to 12 Basic Education program. My friends' kids are already six years old by June 2014 and since my son’s birthday is still in October, he’s not qualified yet.
So I prepared all the requirements needed for the admission test and when we went back to the school, I was shocked because the school staff was telling me that my son can take grade 1 admission test because of the memo from DepEd. Kids who are turning six years old till October are qualified for Grade 1. I have to ask her again because I was there last January 8 and I heard different information. At that moment, I really don’t know what to do, will I apply for Grade 1 or Kinder exam. But I don’t want to pay for two exams so I applied for Grade 1 admission test.
My son took admission test in two different schools. Last Friday, he passed the first exam (slightly above average) and I can enroll him to Grade 1. He took another exam last Wednesday and I was really nervous because it is not written exam. My son will take the test on the computer. Waah! My son doesn’t even know how to use the mouse; even they teach him how to use the computer before the exam, I don’t think he will be comfortable in taking the test.
My son finished the exam and the result was below the average so they told me to retake the exam after one month. The staff told me that maybe my son wasn’t prepared yet because he was only five years old, kasabayan niya mommy, 6 and 7 yrs old and the exam that he took was the final exam of our Kinder (Preparatory in our school) and my son was still in Pre-Kinder level. Actually, they can print the test result but for sure if I will enroll in their school, my son need to take a remedial class. So they suggest to take the exam again baka di pa napag-aralan ng anak ko yung iba na nasa exam.
Now, I’m decided to transfer my son to big school but I don’t know if I will enroll him to Kinder or Grade 1. Of course, I can save money if he will jump to Grade 1 but I don’t know if my son is emotionally ready. Kaya ba niya ang 7 hours every day in school. Kaya ba niya ang additional subjects? I don’t know if he can eat on his own because honestly, he cannot eat rice meal on his own. Paano siya mag-lunch. Hay, my head is already aching and I have three months to decide.
It's Official, My Son Will go to Big School