For more than a year I did not have any problem with my son using the Ipad because he just plays a game and after that he stops using it. My husband and I can still use the iPad without borrowing from him because he prefers watching movies or cartoons.
Last February, we said goodbye to our broadband and say hello to our PLDT DSL/FIBR. We’re so happy because of the fast connection but we have no idea that it will also start our YouTube Dilemma.
My son learned to use the YouTube apps and enjoys it because no more buffering. I just let him because he is just watching and listening to “Frozen” theme songs.
But few weeks had passed and we’re noticing changes of behavior. Such as
1. He always wanted to stay at home. As if he can stay at home, we don’t have yaya nor helper so wherever we go, he goes.
Me: Ethan, take a bath now. We will go to the grocery (lola’s house, school etc.)
Ethan: I’ll stay.
2. He always says “Let’s go home”. Whenever we’re out he always says, mommy let’s go home or daddy let’s go home.
3. He is so much affected when there is a slow connection, intermittent connection or no internet.
Ex. My husband was driving and when we’re 5 to 7 houses away from our place, my son cried and we asked why and he said.
Ethan: No YouTube
Me: There’s no internet in the car.
4. He is so addicted. He can stay for hours watching YouTube if you will not stop him. He doesn’t want to share the iPad anymore.
One time, I was busy doing household chores and I heard my five-year-old son said Oh my g*sh, sh*t and motherf*cker. I was really shocked and I asked him, “What did you say?” and he said “nothing”. I asked again “What did you say?”. He did not answer anymore and I told him that I don’t want him to say those bad words.
I checked the YouTube and he is watching Minecraft Tutorial video. Waah! We don’t have minecraft games so why he is watching it. He learned those bad words in that video. I told my son “Do not watch this video again”
I’m happy that he obeyed me and I no longer hear those bad words but still we’re finding ways to stop or at least lessen his addiction to YouTube.
1. We hide the YouTube apps but he cried. My husband even said “Grabe iyak nito, daig pa pag umaalis ako (out of town or out of the country)”
2. I declared no YouTube days.
3. Lastly, my husband brings the iPad in the office so he can’t use it.
Kids are smart, one time I saw him watching YouTube using my phone. I told him he can’t use my phone. He said, watch sa computer (Laptop), of course I said no. He said, watch YouTube sa TV. I said no internet sa room. (His dad showed him before that he can watch YouTube on our TV), again I said no.
It’s been more than two or three weeks already that my husband brings the iPad in the office and until now whenever he wakes up he will say.
Ethan: Mommy, I’m sad.
Ethan: I can’t watch YouTube.
Well, at least now he is so excited to see his daddy, of course he is waiting for the iPad. He always says whenever I call his dad.
Ethan: Daddy go home na, drive fast ha.
Ethan: Tagal man daddy.
I hope someday the addiction will stop and I pray that he won’t be like this when school day starts.
Care to share some tips.
Update: YouTube is no longer my problem. My son follow our rules, no iPad during weekdays. No iPad if he did something not nice. We are using YouTube app for kids.