One of the disadvantages of a full-time mom is not having a salary and it is really hard to budget single income so we have to think ways and means to meet our needs and maybe wants. But this disadvantage could also be our advantage because we can learn new things, enhance new skills and discover gifts that we didn’t know that we have.
D.I.Y. or Do It Yourself can help you save money because you don’t have to buy stuff from the market, mall or restaurants. You will be amazed that there are things that we can do using our own resources at home.
When I became a stay at home mom, Google became my friend because I always search and search if I need to know something. I’m so thankful that I don’t have to buy books or go to library if I need information.
I’ll be sharing with you our DIY stuff.
1. Homemade Play Dough – my son loves clay and we are aware that play doh is not that cheap and I was really thankful when I’ve learned that I can do play dough at home. My son knows that I can make play dough so whenever he runs out of clay he immediately informs me “Mommy, cook clay please”.
2. Homemade Food and Pastries – We seldom eat at the restaurant, as much as possible we eat home cooked meals and even desserts. I try to look for some recipes and try it at home and this is one of the best ways to save money. You know that fast food and restaurants are very expensive and I guess P500 is not enough for 2-3 people.
3. Homemade ingredients – some ingredients are not easy to find and some are not affordable but don’t be sad because you can DIY some ingredients and you can also substitute some ingredients.
4. Party Giveaways – if you have spare time, make your own party giveaways like this.
5. Sewing – this is one skill that I really want to learn but I know some basics so if I need to fix buttons, hooks or anything that require basic stitches, I can do it. I hope I can buy mini sewing machine so that I can enhance this skill especially now that we are spending money for my son’s costume in his school activities like Linggong Wika, United Nation and Halloween Party.
Update: I have my own sewing machine now, read more here.
6.Gifts and Cards – if you are into art and craft, you can save money by making your own gifts and cards. Make your own paper bag, envelope, cards and wrap your own gifts. There are so many free printables in Pinterest.
7. Home Repairs – if we need home repairs we don’t always hire repairman, my husband always check if he can fix it. I’m very fortunate that he can do almost everything.
8. Home Renovation – I remember when we live in a small apartment, we painted our own apartment and my husband put all the vinyl tiles.
9. D.I.Y Travel – travelling is one of our favorite bonding and to save money we don’t avail travel packages. I always look for seat sale and make my own itinerary. Click here to learn how to plan an itinerary.
10. Homemade Gifts – this will you save you time in buying gifts in the mall. If you have the skills and talent you can do your own gifts. It adds more personal touch.
That’s it for now and feel free to share your DIY stuff.