Applying for a new passport or renewing your passport here in the Philippines is quite challenging because it is hard to get an appointment. It happened to me this year when I was getting an appointment for my husband. Good thing I was able to book last April 5, tiyagaan lang talaga sa pag-abang. Parang seat sale lang na ang sarap ng feeling after mo maibook.
Read: How to Schedule A DFA Passport Appointment Online
There was a slight difference in reserving the appointment now compared to my experience three years ago. I did not see a family appointment and you need to check your email and confirm your appointment, before pagkasubmit mo okay na.
Anyway, we went to DFA NCR South branch last month, the schedule is 10AM and we arrived in Alabang past 8AM so we went to McDo (Drive-Thru) to order some food and waited at the parking lot. My husband wanted to go to DFA at 9:30AM since nakanote naman na 30 minutes before ka pumunta. But I told him na open na ang supermarket and it is better na dun na kami maghintay.
I’m thankful that he agreed with me so we went to Metro Mall and we were surprised that there was a long line already, it was only 9:10AM. I was wondering kung what time pa nakapila yung iba, there was a separate line for courtesy lane and for those scheduled applicants. Actually, may mga 11AM applicants na nakapila na nga rin, nauna pa sa amin. But don’t worry, sa iba pa rin nakapila ang 11AM.
At 10AM, they allowed the people to go up, nauna mga courtesy lane before the 10AM applicants. At that time, I was thinking if my husband can finish in one hour, sa dami ba naman ng nasa courtesy lane. While he was at DFA, my son and I went to the Metro Department Store to kill our time.
Requirements for Renewal Application
1. Confirmed Online Appointment
2. Personal appearance
3. Accomplished Application Form
4. Current ePassport with photocopy of data page
5. Original PSA authenticated documents that will support the change of name (if applicable)
o Marriage Contract
o Annotated Birth Certificate
o Annotated Marriage Contract to show annulment/divorce/court ordered instruction
o Death Certificate of Spouse
My husband submitted the requirements 1-4 but when they learned that the expiration of my husband’s passport is year 2020, the staff was asking for letter or approval pa because they only accept expiration 2019 below for renewal. But my husband told them na wala naman sa website nila yung ganung requirements. So nagtatanung-tanung muna yung staff and he/she advised my husband to photocopy the last page of his passport (used page) to justify why he needs to renew his passport earlier and the staff just put a “frequent traveler” note on the paper.
My husband paid P1200 and was advised to pick-up the passport on April 27. I remember last time na binubutasan na agad ang passport so I told my husband na wag pabutusan or else hindi kami makakaalis. In less than an hour, my husband called us and he said tapos na daw siya. Despite the long lines at DFA, mabilis naman ang process sa loob so same sa experience namin when we renewed three years ago.
Read: Our Experience at DFA NCR South (Alabang)
Since we were out of the country, my husband was not able to pick up his passport on the scheduled date. He went to DFA last Friday and he was there before 10AM and same process pa rin, pinapila pa rin siya sa baba kasama ng mga 10AM applicants. It took him more or less 30 minutes just to claim to his passport. 10 years na yung passport pero same pages with the old passport.
Important Reminders on the Releasing of Passport
1. Only immediate family members are allowed to get the passport in behalf of the applicant. Immediate family members include father, mother, brother, sister, spouse, and children of legal age.
2. Passport shall be released to an immediate family member only with a proper authorization letter, and valid IDS (with photocopies) of the applicant and the representative with Special Power of Attorney and Affidavit of Support and Consent.
3. Passports unclaimed after six months will be canceled per Department Order No. 37-03
4. Power failures, technical breakdowns, and natural calamities may delay the release of passports. Applicants are advised to book flights taking into consideration such as incidents. No refund of fees will be made on account of these unforeseen delays.