Last Wednesday, I was able to make a gravy sauce and because of that I was inspired to make béchamel sauce. I know how to make this sauce because I always watch cooking show if my time permits me. But I never tried it because I’m afraid that I could not make it, like my past experiences in making gravy sauce.
But there is no harm in trying so I decided to make a béchamel sauce. All you need is butter, flour and milk. But I made my own version, because I love cheese, I add cheese on my béchamel sauce.
I was so happy that I made it and I will no longer use all purpose cream. For the past few years of making a baked macaroni, I always put all purpose cream on top of it before adding the cheese to make my baked macaroni creamier. But this time, no more all purpose cream because I know how to make béchamel sauce. =)
Cheesy Bechamel Sauce
4 tbsp flour
4 tbsp butter
2 cups of milk
½ cup quick melt cheese (or any cheese you want)
Two pinched ground pepper
1. Melt the butter in sauce pan (low medium heat).
2. Put the flour and continue whisking it for 2 minutes or until the roux is bubbling.
3. While stirring the roux, slowly add the milk (½ cup at a time). Be sure that the roux and milk are well incorporated before adding another cup of milk to ensure that you will not get any lumps.
4. Stir the mixture until the sauce thickens.
5. Remove from heat then add the cheese and season with pepper.