One thing I learned about COVID19 pandemic is to learn to adjust and adapt, hindi man kami makakain sa labas, pwede naman magfoodtrip sa bahay and you know what, it is much cheaper pa. In my previous post, I shared about the Prima Taste brand and I recently discovered that they offer several Best Singaporean Favorite Meal Sauce Kits so I planned to try each meal sauce kit.
I’ve blogged about Singaporean Chili Crab so next on my list is Hainanese Chicken Rice. Hainanese chicken rice is considered one of the Singapore national dishes. This dish was created by Hainan immigrants who went to Singapore during colonial days. You can see Hainanese chicken rice throughout Southeast Asia like Indonesia, Malaysia, and even in the Philippines. We ate Hainanese chicken rice at Wee Nam Kee and Hainanese Delights.
My first experience of Hainanese Chicken Rice was way back in 2007 when we went to Singapore. I always eat this poached chicken if ever we are in Singapore, you can find this in the hotel, restaurant, and hawker. And because of that, I also tried to cook this dish from scratch pero okay lang ang lasa. Hehehe! So I was happy when I discovered the Prima Taste Hainanese Chicken Rice, I bought this online and I’m not sure if it is available in the supermarket.
The pack includes almost everything na, all you need to add are the chicken, rice, veggies, and water. The pack includes Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil, Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix, Sesame Soya Sauce Oil, Chili Sauce, Ginger Sauce, and Dark Soya Sauce. There is a recipe guide and how-to-cook video on their website or YouTube so cooking this dish is really quick and easy. I don’t want to use whole chicken so I used chicken thigh fillet.
How to Cook Hainanese Chicken Rice
2.5 liters Water
1 pkt Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix
1.2 - 1.5 kg Whole chicken 500 g Long grain rice (we recommend Thai long grain rice)
1 pkt Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil**
610 ml Chicken stock (for Step 3)
Condiments: Sesame Soya Sauce Oil **, Chilli Sauce **, Chicken Rice Ginger Sauce **, Chicken Rice Dark Soya Sauce **
Suggested Soup Garnish Soft bean curd (tofu), Lettuce (shredded), Coriander leaves, Spring onion
** Included in Prima Taste pack
Steps to Cook Chicken and Stock
1. To cook chicken stock, fill stockpot with 2.5 liters water, add Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix and bring to boil on high heat. Submerge chicken into the stock with its back facing up. Lower heat and simmer for approx 30 mins.
2. Remove chicken from stock and chill in ice water for 15 mins. Drain well, set aside chicken and chicken stock.
Steps to Cook Rice
3. Mix rice, 610 ml chicken stock(from Step 2), and Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil in a rice cooker.
4. Stir rice gently after 5 mins and continue cooking. When cooked, fluff the rice gently with chopsticks (while loosening rice, avoid the bottom of the rice cooker). Leave at the 'Keep Warm' setting for 10 - 15 mins.
5. Put the whole packet of Sesame Soya Sauce Oil packet in a pot of boiling water and boil for 2 mins. Remove from heat, cut open packet and pour into a bowl. Set aside at room temperature.
6. Chop chicken into parts. Arrange on a platter, over a bed of sliced cucumber. Pour Sesame Soya Sauce Oil over the chicken and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with warm rice. In separate condiment bowls, serve Chilli Sauce, Chicken Rice Ginger Sauce, and Chicken Rice Dark Soya Sauce as dips.
VARIATION: You may use chicken pullet for tender, juicy chicken. Other parts of the chicken such as chicken leg or chicken breast.
STORAGE: Store in a cool, dry place. After opening, keep the pack refrigerated and use it within 3 days. Volume Conversion: 1 cup ˜ 8 oz / 230 ml
We’re so happy with the result, good thing I bought two packs. I prefer this Hainanese Chicken Rice Ready-to-Cook Meal Sauce Kit kasi mas close ang lasa niya sa nakakain ko sa Singapore kaysa sa niluto ko from scratch. Hehehe!