May 24, 2016

How to Apply for Japan Tourist Visa if you have Philippines Passport

Our family loves to travel but if you are an old follower of this blog, you will notice that we only visit those countries that do not require a visa. We always travel on a shoestring so applying for a visa is still an additional cost. There are so many countries that Filipinos can travel to without a need for visa application.

Read: Visa-Free Travel for Filipinos
How to Apply for Multiple Entry Japan Tourist Visa

In addition, I’m so scared that my visa will be denied. I dislike wasted time, effort, and money for visa application. But I cannot deny that there are countries that I really want to visit that requires visa including Japan.

Japan is on my bucket list because I want to experience Cherry Blossoms but I was not able to experience it because my husband’s training was rescheduled. It was supposed to be April 4-6, then it was moved to April 25-27 but because of the Golden Week, it was rescheduled again. So no more Sakura for us but of course I still want to visit Japan.

My husband sent me the list of requirements for Japan Tourist Visa and I immediately checked the list. I was sad at first because we need NSO birth certificate and marriage certificate that is valid within the year. Thank God that the training was rescheduled so I have enough time to prepare the requirements.

Japan Tourist Visa Requirements 

1. Passport
- The validity of more than 6 months/signed passport
- Broken lamination of the picture portion will not be accepted
- Must have at least 2 blank pages left in the passport.
2. Visa Application Form 
Download the form here 
Fill out the form and print or print and write in block letters
3. Photo (1 Copy of 4.5cm x 4.5cm with white background) 
I informed the photographer that I need a picture for Japan Visa and we were surprised when we got the pictures, nakaformal clothes na kami.
4. Birth Certificate (NSO issued with a receipt and valid within 1 year) 
Applicants holding (old or valid) passports with used Japan Visa will be exempted from submitting a birth certificate.

Read: 3 Ways to Get your NSO Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate

In case of non-record of registration of live birth.
- Non-record in the NSO. Need a certificate of Non-record from the NSO and Birth Certificate from the Local Civil Registrar.
- Non-record in the NSO and Local Civil Registrar. Need a certificate of non-record from the NSO and the Local Civil Registrar.

If NSO issued is not clear
- Birth certificate from the Local Civil Registrar

If Birth Certificate is Late-registration 
- Birth certificate from the Local Civil Registrar
- Original Baptismal Certificate, School Record (Form 137 or report card) School Year Book.

5. Marriage Contract (if married) NSO issued and valid within 1 year 
Applicants holding (old or valid) passports with used Japan Visa will be exempted from submitting of a marriage contract.
In the case of non-record. You must submit a certificate of non-record together with the one from Local Civil Registrar.
6. Tour Itinerary 
Prepared by the applicant or the travel agency. Followed this format.
7. Bank Balance Certificate or a Copy of bank Book Pages for the past two years. 
8. Income Tax Return (Form 2316 or 1701) original and 1 photocopy. 

Housewife Japan Tourist Visa Requirements

1. Passport
2. Visa Application Form with Photo 4.5cm x 4.5cm with white background)
3. NSO Birth Certificate with receipt
4. NSO Marriage Contract with receipt
5. Tour Itinerary
6. Bank Balance Certificate: I have my own savings account but I submitted our joint account just to be safe since I am not working.
7. Photocopy of Valid ID (not in the list but my husband add this)

Student Japan Tourist Visa Requirements

1. Passport
2. Visa Application Form with Photo 4.5cm x 4.5cm with white background)
3. NSO Birth Certificate with receipt
4. Tour Itinerary
5. Photocopy of School ID (not in the list but my husband add this)

Our Experience in Applying for Japan Tourist Visa

April 19: My husband submitted the requirements in their travel agency. He got an email a few days after, the travel agency was asking for his Income Tax Return, maybe because I did not submit ITR. My husband was applying for Business Visa and ITR was not on his list.
April 26: He submitted the ITR.
April 28: He had a personal appearance (interview), it is a requirement for Business Visa. The agency put our application in one envelope even we are applying for a different visa.
May 3: My husband was advised that our passports are ready for pick-up. He advised the staff to deliver it to his office.
May 4: We got our passports. Visa approved. Yehey!

Note: Japan Visa is FREE but visa applications must be made through agencies accredited by Consulate of Japan. Check it here

The handling fee depends on the travel agency, in our case napamahal kami. My husband submitted our requirements to their company accredited travel agency, then the agency submitted the requirements in Friendship Tours and Resorts Corporation.

So when I learned about this, I told my husband, “Ako na lang kaya mag-apply, sayang yung bayad kahit ako na magbayad ng Business Visa mo mas makakamura pa rin tayo.” Sobrang mahal ng handling fee, libre nga lang Japan Visa. But my husband didn’t like the idea na hiwalay pa pagprocess and he reminded me na first time ito, sige ka baka madeny pa. He even said, wala na ko time mag-asikaso pa, may schedule interview na ko. Ok fine, lunok na lang sa gastos.

Good thing that we are all approved, so I immediately searched for cheap airfare Manila to Narita since I did not like the Manila to Haneda flight time. Yes, we applied for Japan Visa without a plane ticket. Visa is valid from May 2 to Aug 2, 2016 (3 months)

Visa Application Expense

P255 - picture
P100 - bank certificate
P1,050 - NSO birth certificate (2) and marriage certificate (1)
P2,400 - handling fee of Friendship Tours and Resorts Corporation (P1,200 x 2)
P3,360 - handling fee of (company accredited travel agency (P1,680 x 2)

Total damage is P7,165 for 2 pax, kung ako nag-ayos P3805. If ever we will go back to Japan, ako na mag-apply para mas tipid.

Tip: You can also take advantage of the sale at Travel Expo, travel agencies are offering Japan Visa and Korean Visa for as low as PHP500.


  1. I think its good Sis na you apply for VISA first before getting the ticket kasi since its your first you don't know how long yung process, That's what I did when I applied for my visa long time ago. I waited until I received my visa then booked the ticket. So happy you got approved! Can't wait for your adventures soon.

  2. We were fortunate - getting our visas to visit my wife's home country was a pretty easy (if expensive) matter. We just submitted our passports along with an itinerary and a letter stating our son could travel with us.

    Anyway - have a good visit!

  3. Congrats on your Visa being approved!!and thanks for sharing the step by step process

  4. Ay wow! This is very helpful. Kaso baka sumabit aq sa savings part hahaha. Wala kong malaking savings pero kaya ko naman pag ipunan yung trip ko sa japan :)

    1. I don't think you need big amount of savings basta maprove mo lang na enough budget mo sa haba ng stay mo. :)

  5. Oh, Japan is on my bucket list, too. I hope to visit the place one day. Like you, I have only traveled to visa-free countries. I have not tried applying for a visa. Ayoko ma-deny. hehehe Thanks for the tips!

    1. Scary madeny noh? Sayang kasi gastos sa visa application + plane ticket kung required pa sa application.

  6. Is ITR just an option if you don't have bank account details?

    1. It is included in their list but I'm not working so I did not submit anything. But they asked for my husband's ITR.