Looking back at my past travels, I’m aware that not all were smooth and there were some mishaps along the way but those experiences taught me a lot. Always remember that there are important things that we need to consider when we are travelling and I’m sharing to you my own list.
1. Documents – make sure that you bring all the documents that you need such as ticket, ID, hotel confirmation and passport. See to it that you have a photocopy of your passport, ID’s or credit card. I always have a hard copy or soft copy so just in case something happen.
I had an experience when my son was 3 years old and the airline staff was asking for his ID or birth certificate to prove that I’m the mother but I don’t have any. That was not our first domestic trip but that was the first time that I was asked for my son’s ID. Good thing they allow us to board but after that incident I always bring photocopy of his birth certificate.
2. Money – money is very significant when travelling so it is very important that you have the right amount with you to pay for airport fees, transportation, food and accommodation. I always go to the bank or FOREX to buy foreign currency and if it is not available I buy few US dollars. Remember we’re not allowed to bring more than P10,000 outside the Philippines.
Aside from cash, I always bring my atm and credit card, just in case I run out of money. In addition, you need to check if your ATM is international activated. If you have BPI atm card, you need to call to confirm if your card is good for international use. BDO is fine, I was able to use it when I was in Hongkong. Regarding credit card, luckily we’re able to use BPI and HSBC card.
3. Gadgets – I’m pretty sure that you always bring laptop, iPad, camera and cellphones whenever you travel so don’t forget to bring charger and universal adapter because not all socket are the same.
4. Phone – if you are postpaid subscriber, make sure that you can use the phone abroad. It happened to me again when we went to Hongkong and Macau, my phone was useless because I can’t use it while my husband was able to use his phone, by the way we have the same network.
I felt so discriminated, “Is it because I only have Plan 299?” Again, I was advised to activate my international roaming before travelling.
5. Weather – sometimes due to our excitement we forget to check the weather. I experienced this when we went to Hongkong and Macau. I have no idea that there will be rainshower so we ended up buying raincoats and additional clothes to keep us warm.
6. Itinerary – don’t forget your itinerary and maps so you won’t be lost. You can check advisor travelling news to give you an idea and advice on your destination.
Feel free to add if you think I’m missing something on my list.