When I was checking the requirements for Schengen Visa, I was surprised when I saw the travel medical insurance because as far as I can remember, I did not get this when I applied for Norwegian Visa when I was still studying. All I can remember is I get a Certificate of Enrollment from my school and that’s it!
Read: How to Apply for Schengen Visa via VFS Global Norway
Now, travel medical insurance is a mandatory requirement if you are applying for Schengen Visa. To be honest, whenever we travel overseas, I do not get any travel insurance since our trip is more or less than a week. Travel insurance is an additional expense for our travel too so I’m just hoping and praying that our trip will be smooth. But if you really have an extra budget, it is very important to have travel insurance just to be sure that we are protected during our vacation.
The Travel Medical Insurance must cover
1. Necessary medical treatment and emergency hospital care
2. Repatriation because of illness, injury or death
3. At least EUR 30,000/PHP 2.5M/USD 50,000
4. Must be valid throughout the Schengen area
5. Must be valid for the whole period you plan to stay in Norway or in the Schengen area.
List of Accredited Insurance Companies by the Schengen Group in Manila
1. ACE Insurance Philippines
2. Chartis Philippines Insurance, Inc.
4. Blue Cross
5. BPI – MS Insurance Corporation
6. Fortune General Ins. Corp
7. MAA Insurance
8. Malayan Insurance Company, Inc.
9. MAPFRE Insular Insurance Corporation
10. Paramount Life and General Insurance Co
11. PNB General Insurers Co., Inc.
12. Standard Insurance Co.
13. UCPB General Insurance Co. Inc.
14. WorldWide Travel Insurance Plans
15. Everest International Group Administrators Inc.
16. FPG Insurance Co., Inc.
17. Philippine British Assurance Co., Inc.
18. Starr International Insurance Philippines
19. Oriental Assurance Corporation
20. Philippines First Insurance Company
21. Pioneer Insurance Company
22. Liberty Insurance CoRporation
23. QBE Seaboard Insurance Philippines, Inc.
Among this list, I only checked two insurance company and I chose Malayan Insurance Company, Inc. because I can purchase the insurance online. The rate is cheaper too compared to other insurance that I’ve inquired. The rate will depend on the number of days of your trip. Check the coverage here.
Malayan Travel Master Global Rates
8 Days P770
15 Days P1,100
24 Days P1540
31 Days P1,870
45 Days P2310
60 Days P2860
90 Days P4785
Since it is our first time to avail travel medical insurance, we registered first. Only 18 years old above can buy the travel insurance. I purchased group travel package so I can buy travel insurance for my 8-yr old son. We purchased the insurance few days before our scheduled appointment at VFS Global Norway.
How to Purchase Malayan Travel Master Global Online
1. Go to this link
2. Fill out the online form
Travel Details - Select your travel destinations: Local, Asian or Worldwide
Travel Type - Destination/s
Travel Duration: Travel duration must cover the date of departure to date of arrival.
Purpose of Travel: Leisure, Business or Others
Date of Departure
Will this be used for Schengen Visa Requirement? Yes or No
Choose your Travel Insurance Package: Individual, Group or Family
Enter your Personal Details
Your Full Name
Contact details: email address and phone number
Name of Beneficiary
Relationship of Beneficiary
3 .Click Submit
4. Pay the Travel Medical Insurance
5. Check your email for the copy of your insurance policy.
We received the email few minutes after our payment so it is very convenient. I printed two copies, one for the visa application and one copy for our travel.
P.S. I asked them if the travel insurance is refundable in case of visa denial and the answer is NO. Waah! It is non-refundable so I was praying hard that our visa will be approved.